Saturday 18 August 2012

Confessions of a Student Dog-Lover


I am broody. So very broody and it really is quite embarrassing. Every time I see a dog of any breed, size or colour my heart melts and I just have to say 'hello'. Whilst many other girls in their early twenties 'coo' over babies I am that girl who is completely obvious to the toddlers doddering around with cute grins on their chubby faces.. all I want is a puppy to cuddle. I'm not sure how normal this is. 

In fact this little obsession may have got so extreme that I might have 'borrowed' someone's puppy this afternoon. With permission of course... though I think I might have worn out said permission after the little french-bulldog-pug-cross (that's a mouthful!) was still sleeping on my lap a full 30 minutes later. If only I could have stretched to taking him home for the evening!

I believe the issue is this, having grown up with dogs in a family that took on new puppies every year to train for the charity 'Guide Dogs', I have taken for granted the presence of a canine companion in the home. Last year when our German Shepherd passed away (to read his memoir see 'here') it was like losing a lifetime friend I still feel my heart wrenching a little when I meet other people with short haired German Shepherds like Kray. I shall never forget him.



On top of this I recently watched Marley and Me the ultimate in dog-lover movies. I have yet to meet someone who can make it through to the end without crying:


There is a saying that you are either a dog person or a cat person. This is not true. I love my cat, Travis, huge amounts and miss him terribly when I am away from home. Cats and dogs are equally lovely just for different purposes and for this reason I conclude that your choice in pet will be a lifestyle choice rather than a form of preference (unless you have a certain preference for lifestyle). I submit that the best lifestyle choice is to have one of each but right now its that lovable snuggly happy-go-lucky puppy charm that I'm most desperate for. Darn those student house leases! For now I will simply have to survive with borrowing from time to time.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment