Wednesday 11 July 2012

What Makes a Man

I am in the process of collecting images and ideas for an 'eye-candy' wall in my new flat. I have never done this before; to be frankly honest I like my interiors to be minimal (so my buzzing over-analytical mind will have some excuse to chill out and relax) so why the wall of eye candy? I am aware I'm on the the brink or perhaps have already stepped too far into the realms of superficiality - before you jump to any conclusions I would add that there are a million more things to appreciate in men other than a pretty face. Today I am simply defending my eye-candy wall I am not out to reveal the top 10 tips to finding the perfect match - I’m definitely not the right girl to write that article!

I have many reasons in defence of this little venture and I'll admit some are more amicable than others. The most superficial of all is probably the most fundamental reason why we all like to buy those glossy magazines and sigh over the air brushed faces and chizeled abs of both male and female celebrities; we like beauty. In fact I'd go as far to say as we are drawn towards beauty. Many have critized the western world for being so image focused but who truly can claim that they remain totally indifferent to a pretty face or a well-toned body after having grown up in a world plastered with the media's perspective of outward beauty? Unless you have dodgy sight like me, we cannot help but double-take as an attractive individual passes by and I'll be the first to admit that my hands reach into my purse for my glasses for a sneaky scan of the boys at the beach. And even outside the western world, men and women have always been attracted to those figures in society who are youngest, fittest, healthiest. Whilst our superficiality in society is critized as one of our greatest flaws it is also one of mankind's most fundamental traits. Consequently, I think I can justify a little eye-candy!


For many years I have 'bookmarked' my issues of Elle with my revision sticky tabs on pages with clothes and accessories I love. The idea of this little exercise is that in physically bookmarking the page I am more likely to remember that item. When I see something similar whilst out shopping I know I am buying things I really like rather than getting caught up in the shopping 'moment'. I propose here that the same approach should work with men. The phrase beauty is in the eye of the beholder is ageless and so very true. My friends and I have very different tastes in men. Whilst I go for the muscular clean-cut types such as Liam Hemsworth, Ryan Reynalds and Channing Tatum one of my good friends at university would much prefer Matthew Lewis, Douglas Booth and Matt Boomer to move in next door. There are girls who are team Edward or team Jacob, those who'd prefer Gale over Peeta and those who can't stand any generic teenage heartthrobs at all. Case in point; everyone has different tastes and in a world full of attractive men knowing your 'type' is vital to being happy with your choices rather than just getting caught up in a different kind of 'shopping moment'. 


Finally, a little bit of incentive is guaranted inspiration for my own health regime. Fit and healthy men and women keep me inspired to exercise and eat well thus the importance of having my collection in my kitchen! Barring the fact that most are air-brushed, photoshopped and covered in fake tan the bare potential is very much present and whoever likes to shoot for the stars will achieve much more than those who settle at nothing. You see, there is nothing wrong or immoral in appreciating beauty and hard work. I will press on towards the eye-candy wall with a clear conscience!  


See below for a list of contenders for my wall. Ten of the best:





Mr Channing Tatum: I first saw him in Step Up yeaarrss ago. His abs are beautiful.


Mr Chris Hemsworth: Thor.. more like thwoar!! (sorry I was just desperate to say this). Okay so maybe he is my secret favorite.


Mr Chris Pine: Following very shortly after Chris Hemworth as my favorite. I have no idea why be I just find him so attractive especially in Star Trek.. maybe that is just because I'm a bit of a trekky.


Mr Liam Hemsworth: Look so I know his older brother is already here but maybe good genes just run in the family..


Mr Ryan Reynolds: I don't know how Scarlet let him go to be quite frankly honest. It must be quite frustrating finding a guy to top him in looks!


Mr Chace Crawford: So I have two Gossipgirl stars on this list. He just looks like that kind of guy who is charming and easy to get on with.


Mr Ed Westwick: Otherwise known as Chuck. Dark, handsome and need I remind you - English!


Mr Rufus Sewell: He might look a bit of an odd choice and this might sound crazy but I'd pick him over Heath Ledger in A Knight's Tale


Mr Ben Mackenzie: This maybe due to the re-runs of The O.C. I am currently watching but he really isn't too bad to look at.


Mr Stephen Colletti: I am a One Tree Hill girl and always will be. Whilst a late comer to the show I do think he is the most attractive of the male cast. 


P.S Don’t judge me! ;)

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Excuse me but WHERE is the swimmer I told you about. I am tearing down the eye candy wall unless he is up there. I'm not even joking. ALSO have AMAZING photo to show you of guy I met this week on my VS. Drool. Everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Attractive lawyers exist? Well that's a new one ;) and I'm sorry lovely I completely forgot his name! xo

    ReplyDelete