Friday 30 April 2010

Dreaming to Inspire



When I'm bored I wish I had something to write about. Not just blog about, actually write an article, a play or a story. Something that will interest and inspire others on a bigger scale than just blogging. Maybe I'm not blogging correctly or maybe I just have too much time on my hands (but there is always some Law, French or Music study I could be doing) but I wish I could write like I once could.

Once upon a time, before A level English Literature and Law warped my writing style and creativity (or perhaps just maturity), I used to write. I would write stories just for the pleasure of it or articles just so I could type them up beautifully and 'publish' them. Today I think I associate computers, pen, paper and writing with work. The pleasure has been drained a little. I want it back. But how?

I know writing is an integral part of me. I keep a hand-written journals as well as a blog, I read for the pleasure of good writing, I adore quotes and I love buying fresh untouched notebooks. My 'documents' folder stores many of my attempts at writing something more mature or creative.

Thinking about it, when you have passed through childhood and writing becomes a little more of a chore than a pleasure or simply exploring the written word, we need life experience and knowledge to capture the interests of others. Very few adults are able to continue to encapsulate the same creative ideas and stories that we do as children. I suppose that is what makes some authors like C.S Lewis, Tolkien, J.K Rowling and perhaps even Stephanie Meyer so amazing. There are also those who are able to get out into the world as adults, experience life and record it using their own personality, they are also great; writers such as Bill Bryson, political writers, song writers and even some of the women who write for magazines like Elle. I will never be a children's author but perhaps one day, after a bit of travel, a little more heart break and a lot more practice I can aspire to write like one of these.

... just maybe.

And what will I write about? Faith, injustice, poverty and most of all hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment