Wednesday 12 October 2011

The Best Word in the English Dictionary


There are some words that just feel so good rolling off one's tongue. Learning to say the french word 'psychologie' properly whilst doing my A levels was one of those little episodes. My teacher went around the classroom making each of us say it one by one, I doubt I will ever get the pronouncation wrong and I still love to say it. 'Kartoffel' is another, the Danish word for 'potato' feels kind of comic, but my absolute favorite right now is the word 'enchanted'. 


enchant |enˈ ch ant|verb [ trans. (often be enchanted)fill (someone) with great delight; charm Isabel was enchanted with the idea.• put (someone or something) under a spell [as adj. ( enchanted)an enchanted garden.


Not only does 'enchanted' feel amazing to say but there's something so classy about someone exclaiming, "Enchanted to meet you". 


Moments of enchantment are rare, I can only recall I couple in my lifetime but the memories stay or at least I never forget them as I always end up writing them down. There's a kind of excitement underlying an 'enchanting' moment, like magic, like a frame from a feel-good movie or a chick flick. Like walking into Hogwarts for the first time, an unexpected fantastic surprise or meeting someone that you just know you'll end up falling for. 


I think I could fall to sleep tonight considering this word and looking forward to the next time I feel 'enchanted'; because the feeling I get hearing the word tumble off my lips... I'm convinced is almost as good right now. 



xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment