Thursday 27 October 2011

Damselfly's Little Proverbs


I have a friend who reads GQ and if I'm being honest if its lying around I'll spend a good hour reading it. Despite being aimed at men its a really interesting magazine and the advertisements are full of gorgeous men with bodies that send my head reeling (and we all love a bit of eye candy don't we?). Mens fashion is another thing GQ is noteworthy for. I love the waxed jackets, thick woollen cardigans and knitted jumpers designers are bringing out for the winter season. Kudos to the editors and designers for men's a/w 2011.

But one of the things that I enjoy the most about GQ (and other men's magazines such as Men's Health do it too) are the Gentleman's Proverbs or the Man Rules. They always make an entertaining read whether they are decent snippets of real wisdom and wit or absolutely hilarious, totally outrageous or just plain ironic. I'll give you a couple of examples... in the latest edition of GQ I read: 'If you're going to be with a married women, make sure its a happily married women, unhappy women just bring their drama along too'. Surely if the woman was happily married 1) its immoral to ruin that happiness 2) she's not going to be interested?! Secondly: 'Do not cheat on a girlfriend you're not ready to break up with'. Well duh?! and honestly if you're considering the possibility of cheating on her then something probably isn't right with the relationship (or you) anyway. Still, GQ, I guess its the thought that counts.

The magazine of my choice is always Elle. I have a subscription so every month I enjoy flicking through my new glossy magazine with all its advertisements, health tips, fashion and lifestyle articles. It has however (bar the need for more articles) one major flaw when compared with the likes of GQ. It has no proverbs!

So here's a funny little thought I just figured I'd put into practice. Why not use damselfly to publish my own little life proverbs every now and again? What is life without a little experience to share, or in my case lack there of. Nevertheless, enjoy...





This Month's Proverbs:

  • Always carry yourself with confidence. You don't need to feel confident to look it and the results speak for themselves.
  • A Smile is the best and cheapest accessory you'll ever own. 
  • When the going gets tough, stick your head down and focus on your passions. 
  • When setting personal goals always aim just that little bit higher than before, you never know where you might end up.
  • Planning is a risky business. The likelihood of a successful plan is low but the places you reach in life that are beyond any expectations you could ever have had for yourself are often based or occurred because of unsuccessful or unrealised plans. 
  • Enjoy a drink out with friends but never expect to be able to sleep the night you consume 5 or more Jagerbombs. You will be up all night.. just sayin'. 


love, love, love

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment