Tuesday 6 September 2011

The Great Fairy Cake Escapade

I cannot remember the last time I baked anything sweet but due to the new kitchen and my current lack of employment I decided it was time to whip a magical baking storm. What is the most simple cake to bake? Fairy cakes of course!

Yesterday I waltzed nonchalantly into town and bought a bun tray, self raising flour and icing sugar thinking I was the definition of domestic goddess. Unfortunately I did not consider that I might need to weight the ingredients so I knew I had put the right amounts in my mixture! So this morning armed only with my non-baking non-estimating brain and a couple of basic ingredients I set about creating the perfect fairy cakes.

For all those fellow non-bakers out there, here are the ratios that work!

1 cup of self-raising flour
1/2 cup of caster sugar
100g of butter (I had 500g so I just cut a 1/5 of it - estimation is the name of the game)
2 free range eggs

1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees
2. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly until its smooth
3. Pop them in a non-stick bun tray (or you could use the paper bun cups) for around 20 mins (you might need a bit longer - just keep checking them).

With a bit of luck you should end up with cakes like or even better than these sweet thangs! Ice them or drip melted chocolate and sweets over them etc


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment