Saturday 17 September 2011

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall Make Us feel Like Pretty Girls Again






As a generation we are probably one of the most body conscious and image based there has ever been. The obvious answer to all this is our love hate relationship with the media, never before has there been so many movies, glossy magazines and blogs to follow all full of beautiful men and women with the perfect figure, the perfect hair, make up, styles etc. I'm not about to rant and moan about how we should ignore the obvious draw of the media to look perfect; that models and actresses are the 'them' and we will never reach those dizzy heights (though I'll be the first to admit that no one is perfect and there is this beautiful thing called photoshopping and image editing that magazine editors just looovveee). In all honesty, in my opinion, body image is something completely personal and only you can change how you feel about your figure.

I have struggled with body image for as long as I could read. I remember looking as a child at the thick messy brunette hair on my head that I now love and thinking that I looked like a boy. Back then the craze in my primary school was braiding and long sleek straight hair. My mother insisted (and rightly so) that my hair was to be no longer than shoulder length because she just couldn't bare my moaning when she tried to drag a brush through it! Thus no long sleek hair and no braids for little me. 




Nowadays its not my hair that draws most of my anxious attention, its my body. The pressure to be slim and toned is one felt arguably by every single girl over the age of 14 in the western world. The media could be held responsible for a mirage of issues this has caused including girls (and guys) controlling their intake of food so strictly to the point of anorexia and bulimia. Body image is something I feel strongly about, its something I'm by no means an expert on but it is something I am working on and hope my experiences prove useful one day. 



Case in point number one: Look at this image below, all three women are beautiful and all three women are healthy, none of them look 'fat' or overweight. If you wish to improve your body image the goal should be personal well being and feeling good not reaching a size 6/8 believe me some women were just never built to be that slim! The key to a great body, one that turns heads and fills you with confidence? Three things: 1)The right attitude 2)Exercise and 3) Eating properly. No other way will give you satisfactory and positive long term results. 

Size 6-8, 10-12 and 14



So I'm going to create a series of posts on image, how to eat for your body without losing the enjoyment of food altogether and how to get the most out of exercising. I’m doing this for my own inspiration really but feel free to join me. I hope you get as inspired reading this as I do typing it. 


See you soon!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment