Monday 8 August 2011

Photos From The East (2)

As a second instalment of my posts following my trip to Beijing here are some photos form my trip to the Summer Palace. I think this is possibly my favourite area in Beijing, its even prettier than the Forbidden City and was only a couple of stops on the subway from our hotel. The Palace area is massive and you could spend over a day wandering around the paths in the forest and visiting the temples. It was a bit like a enchanted maze at times; that is until you hit the Kunming lake.

You can take paddle boats onto the lake which surrounds a mini island and provides a stunning view of the biggest building in the summer palace. Wiki tells me that the lake was man-made! The land was dug out and the excess soil was used to create the hill on which many of the temples are built. Once again many of the photos online are stunning but I'm going to show a couple of my own.




This is a photo taken on the edge of Kunming lake. Despite the heat unfortunately due to the heavy pollution in Beijing often the sky is this grey colour. On the couple of days the cloud had been blow aside the sky was a brilliant blue. You can see a couple of the paddle boats close to the horizon.




This man was a good laugh. His outfit was so eccentric we just had to ask if we could take a photo of him. I don't know if you can just see his feet but he was wearing wooden platforms! I have no idea how long it would take to grow a moustache that impressive! It reminds me a little of the Huns in Mulan :) Of course after we had a photo of him he wanted a photo of us too!



xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Some great photos, looks like you had a great time.

    I love having a nose at peoples holiday snaps.

    http://thekeypieces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! and me too :)
    nice blog btw, I've bookmarked it for a little read later on! xo

    ReplyDelete