Wednesday 24 August 2011

A little natter about nothing in particular

The River Fowey

I have finally discovered that my post editor was on the wrong setting for the last couple of months! I can now post shiny new large photos and use page breaks like this one below...



You'll just have to humor me for the next couple of posts as I get back into the swing of things. I'm thinking of creating a new layout soon but as I'm not a genius when it comes to all things html it may take a rather long while (after all lets face it... I've only just discovered I can post videos in the past 3 months and I've been keeping Damselfly going for 3 years!).

Slowly but surely I am making my way back down south towards Falmouth. Today I am with my family near Fowey (pronouced Foy like the beginning of the word 'foil'). The houses are quite sweet and the area is very pretty but as much as I love Cornwall I don't think I could live here forever. I need a little bt of city and some exploring in my life. Perhaps I'll retire here gracefully in my early 60s.. I took the snap above in one of the bursts of glorious sunshine before another rain cloud settled over the little town. We sat and ate chunky chips in a little cafe with plenty of salt, vinegar and ketchup watered down with cups of tea. Oh how very English we are.


Whilst not a very spectacular photograph I think some might be interested to know that the building on the bottom right (cream with a blue door and window frames) was once the home of the late Daphne Du Maurier. Her book 'Rebecca' was on my reading list for this year though my personal favorite remains 'Jamaica Inn' for its unexpected plot twists and its strong-willed heroine Mary Yellan.

This evening I will attempt once again to beat my family at our card game (Nanny's Game). I've no idea what its real name is but it will always belong to my late Nanny Connie who taught me to play it while I was young. Wish me luck, I'll need it, this family has a habit of producing card sharks and I wasn't born one of them!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment