Monday 29 August 2011

The Silk Scarf


Whilst I was in Beijing I had a bit of time to do some shopping. As you might gather the fakes market over there is huge! The handbags weren't bad, you could get a real leather well made fake Mulberry for around £50-70. I would avoid buying clothes in the market though, haggling them down to a reasonable price is just exhausting and often a lost cause when they've sewn in a fake 'Miu miu' or 'ChloĆ©' into the collar.

Among the items that are worth buying in China are things like pearls (because they're cultivated so easily there and cultivated pearls are so so cheap) and silk. Once you know how to make sure you're actually buying the real McCoy you're off but beware as much of the silk on show outside the little stalls is polyester - learn to feel the difference before buying!


Once more, I have noticed silk or similar looking materials are popping up everywhere in the shops at the moment. The silk dresses and shirts being churned out on the high street in response to the new designer collections are very much to my taste. I guess it adds a touch of class and quality back into the economically struggling world where we're all feeling the strain and getting a little tired of it by now :)

The thing with the silk scarf is that its just so versatile. As well as the conventional and laid back swung loosely over the shoulders, you can use it to cover your shoulders or tie it in a knot, you may hang it from you bag as decoration or use it as a headband. I'm a softy for the colours and patterns that look just that little bit different and spice up a basic safe everyday outfit.

I had a quick look online for silk scarves and came up with these pretties: NW3 Butterfly Scarf (Silk Chiffon - £49), SWASH Baboushka printed scarf or Avairy printed scarf (both at [deep breath] -> £270) and Matthew Willamson Kaleidoscope printed scarf (£175).  Whilst they're all pricey I'm positive you can get them cheaper and prices go tumbling if you get a decent polyester scarf.

I bought these whilst I was away:


I think they're quite prettttyyy!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment